Massage is classified into different types and kinds depending on the purposes, methods and techniques used during the procedure. Here are the main classifications of massage:
- By purpose:
– Therapeutic massage: Used for the treatment and rehabilitation of various diseases and injuries.
– Relaxation (spa) massage: Aimed at relaxation and stress relief.
– Sports massage: Helps athletes prepare for and recover from physical exertion.
– Cosmetic (lymphatic drainage) massage: Used to improve skin condition and fight cellulite.
– Children’s massage: It is used to improve physical and emotional development of children.
- By methods and techniques:
– Classical massage: Includes different techniques such as stroking, kneading, friction, etc.
– Swedish massage: A type of classical massage that includes tapping, heat and other techniques.
– Thai massage: Based on stretching and pressure on specific points of the body.
– Shiatsu: A form of Japanese massage based on pressure on meridian points.
– Reflexology: Massage of specific points on the feet, hands and ears to affect the organs and systems of the body.
- By site of action:
– General massage: Affects the entire body.
– Partial Massage: Targets specific areas of the body such as the back, neck, legs, etc.
- By mode of action:
– Manual massage: Performed by the hands of the masseur.
– Hydromassage: Performed using water, such as in a Jacuzzi or under a shower.
– Stone massage: Hot stones are used to massage the body.
- By Complementary Remedies:
– Aromatherapy massage: Includes the use of essential oils to enhance relaxation and well-being.
– Therapeutic Massage with Apparatus: Massage is performed using specialised massage apparatus.
The type of massage you choose depends on your individual needs and goals, as well as the recommendations of your doctor or masseur.